Upward Bound is a great program for students needing extra help to do well in school and get into college.
Join Upward Bound
In order to join the TRIO Upward Bound Program, students must:
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Attend Central, Hillcrest, or Parkview high school within the Springfield Public Schools district.
- Be in the 9th, 10th or 11th grade.
- Demonstrate a desire and the ability to succeed in high school and to graduate with a college degree.
Also, students should meet at least one of the following:
- Meet income guidelines set by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Be a potential first-generation college student (neither parent the student lives with has a four-year college degree).
- Have a documented disability.
Why you should join Upward Bound:
Do you want to feel more confident during the ACT/SAT and in the classroom? Do you want to explore different career opportunities and potential college majors? Would you like to travel around the country, visiting college campuses and checking out other cities? Upward Bound is for you!
All Upward Bound participants are required to attend the following monthly activities:
- Attend Saturday Academy programs, which are held once a month on Saturdays throughout the school year.
- Attend tutoring sessions on a weekly basis if the student is struggling with classes.
- Attend cultural events and activities.
- A six-week, on-campus, summer program.
- Attend the Bridge Program at MSU the summer following their high school graduation.
Other offered activities
- Mentor program
- Job shadowing
- Opportunities for career exploration and volunteering