Upward Bound is a great program for students needing that extra push to do well in school and get into college.
On this page, you will find eligibility requirements and a program description. Most importantly, please use this application to get started on your way to being an Upward Bound participant.
Call 417-836-3117 if you have questions.
In order to become a participant in the TRIO Upward Bound Program, students must:
- meet income requirements and/or income guidelines set by the U.S. Department of Education
- be a US citizen or permanent resident
- be a student at Springfield (Mo.) Central, Springfield (Mo.) Hillcrest or Springfield (Mo.) Parkview high school
- be a potential first-generation college student (neither parent the student lives with has a four-year college degree); in the 9th or 10th grade
- and be able to demonstrate a DESIRE and the ABILITY to succeed in high school and graduate from an institution of postsecondary education.
All Upward Bound participants are required to attend the following monthly activities:
- Attend Destined for College (D4C) Programs which is held once a month on a Saturday
- Attend tutoring sessions on a weekly basis
- Meet with the Site Coordinators who are available at your school once a month
- Attend After School Meetings at your school twice a month
- A six-week, on-campus, summer enrichment program
- Attend the Bridge Program at MSU the summer following their high school graduation
Other services and activities
Other services and activities for students include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Study skills and ACT Prep workshops
- Financial aid and scholarship information and applications
- Visits to college campuses
- Visits to area cultural attractions
- Earning up to 12 hours of college level courses through BRIDGE and MSU Sponsored Dual Enroll Classes
- Last but not least... HAVING FUN!!!