Applying to TRIO Student Support Services

Applying to TRIO

In order to receive services from a TRIO program, you must apply and be accepted into the program.  We hope that you will apply as a freshman so that we can work with you throughout your college education, but you can join TRIO at any time! 

Start the process with the TRIO Program Application.  Print and fill out this form, then mail to address at the bottom. If you have questions, feel free to call or stop by our office in Freudenberger House, Lower West Level

How Do I Qualify?

Since TRIO is a grant-funded program with the Department of Education, students in our program must qualify for our services.  According to our grant, students must meet at least one of the criteria listed below to receive services from our program. Our grant also stipulates that 2/3 of the students in our program must qualify as BOTH Low Income AND First Generation. 

First Generation Student:  This means that neither of your parents have graduated from a 4 year institution with a bachelor’s degree.  Your parents may have an associate’s degree, or could be in college now, but if neither has a bachelor’s degree, you are considered a First Generation College Student. 

Low Income Student:  We use these Federal guidelines to determine if you qualify as a low-income student for the TRIO program. 

Disabled Student: Any student with a documented disability, either a physical, mental or a learning disability, would qualify for TRIO as a disabled student.  In order to qualify as a disabled student, you would need to be registered with Disability Resource Center or the Learning Diagnostic Clinic at MSU.  

Academic Need: In addition to being first generation, low income, or a student who is disabled, you need to demonstrate some type of academic need in order to receive our services. Some examples of an academic need would be:

  • Low ACT score in Math or English (20 or below)
  • Low Placement Test Score.  Math placement into MTH 100 - 103, English placement into ENG 100
  • Currently on Academic Probation or returning from Suspension.
  • Have earned a D or F in a course that you need to repeat.
  • Have a 3.0 GPA or above, and be strongly considering graduate school.
  • Be an adult learner (over age 25 - You may be good at math, but it may have been 15-20 years since you took a math class). 
  • Need assistance in a certain area such as computer literacy.